Monday, June 13, 2005

Ginny Hendrick's Experience

Ah, yes. A day and night off in New Orleans is just the ticket to make up for the rain-soaked festival in Atlanta. We played in Jacksonville, FL last night at the Florida Theater. Nice room, nice crowd, nice local crew. Other than a few broken strings, no incidents to report.

I have been to New Orleans a few times, but never with a day off. Jerry and I had lunch at Ralph and Kacoo's restaurant. A decent steak and ceasar salad, Jerry had seafood of some kind. Then we went to Pat O'Brien's and had a few afternoon cocktails, what with the wilting humidity and all.

He opted for the famous Hurricanes, I decided on a cool Sapphire and Tonic, my favorite summertime drink. Jeremy the bartender was excellent and after a couple of Bombay rounds he encouraged me to try out Hendrick's gin. I had never heard of it. It was smooth, creamy and delicious - not typical gin traits - and I had a few of those as well. After quenching my thirst, it seemed like a good idea to rest a little, so I crashed for about an hour and then went out for dinner. We ate at the Embers/Bourbon House - more steak, more salad, then more P. O'B's until 10:00.

Tomorrow is the House of Blues. Small stage, no problems....I hope.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, Your Mom and I really enjoy reading your little essays about your experiences around the world (of course, we are biased). This most recent one on 'Norlans (as the natives say it) reminded me of a pleasant evening during one of my military conferences there. A few colleagues and I left the Hilton to seek out a sea food restaurant on Bourbon Street recommended by a local. On the way, we encountered a street band (trombonist, trumpeter, lead acoustic guitar and bass - and I think a tenor sax player). They were playing some unfamiliar stuff when, about the time we got just across the street from them, they burst into a real home-grown rendition of "South Rampart Street Parade". It was awesome and all I could do to keep from grabbing the trumpet away and joining in. It is truly a cool place for mnusicians. The only other time I felt so fortunate was at another conference in Louisville when Lee Greenwood appeared as a guest, played and sang his famous "God Bless the U.S.A." and then took out a tenor sax and played "Yakkity Sax" like never heard before. Thank God for people like him and for ALL musicians. Love Always

18/6/05 09:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home