Saturday, May 26, 2007

Get Your Wings

Tomorrow afternoon I leave for the Aerosmith World Tour 2007, some 30 years after I taped their poster to my bedroom wall and wore out the grooves on their first two albums learning to play guitar. We'll be going to Dubai, India, Denmark, Holland, Germany, Italy, Ireland, U.K., Latvia, Estonia, Russia, France, Finland,Belgium, Sweden. All in 43 days, doing festivals, arenas, and outdoor sheds. Other artists on the various bills include the Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, INXS, Chris Cornell, Smashing Pumpkins, Government Mule, Jet, Toto and a host of other local support acts. Lots of great guitar players to check out, lots of blog fodder for this space.

On one hand, it's a job that requires long days of travel, hot, sticky load-ins onto crowded festival stages, concrete toilets and precious little rest. On the other, it's a paid vacation through the capitols of Europe with just enough time of - if you can get out of your bed or bunk - to visit museums, churches, city centers, cafes and clubs. I'm hoping to find a like-minded soul to hit the streets with me since my former running buddy Greg Howard has left the tour to concentrate on getting his amplifier company started.

At 46 years old, I probably don't have too many more opportunities to travel overseas as part of my job, and Aerosmith does not tour Europe regularly. I think it has been 10 years or so since their last round of shows. So, if this is my last hurrah in Europe, I plan to make the best of it.

I'm typing this blog on a Mac for the very first time. A refurbished MacBook Pro arrived at my door two days ago, and I have been getting used to the Mac Method of computing ever since. No luck yet transferring my PC files over, despite following the "plug in an ethernet cable and go" instructions found everywhere on the Web. I suspect that a purchase of Move2Mac is in my immediate future, but until then, I wil be taking both computers with me in hopes that IT guru Joe Sagara can help. Hey, his stock answer to all of my PC problem questions was "Buy a Mac"...so I did.

I never had too many issues with my Dell laptops, but the simple elegance of a Mac, and the intuitive method of getting things done on it...and the anoying-up-until-now coolness of the machine have won me over. Not to mention that this laptop has 2gig of RAM and a 100gig, 7200rpm superdrive that wil allow me to work on any audio projects I may have started on my home computer.

Keep checking back for updates, including what I am sure will be a riveting report on the 13-hour plane ride to Dubai.

4 Comments:

Blogger joe lance said...

Congrats on the MBP - I use the same, and love it. I converted about a year ago.

Also, great job getting the gig with D'Addario! Those are the only strings I can count on (and I DON'T get paid to say that).

28/5/07 21:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom...any truth to the print media report about an Aerosmith lead maybe leaving the band?

29/5/07 09:59  
Blogger JBlog said...

Have a great trip -- looking forward to hearing about the tour on your blog.

And if you see Tom Hamilton, tell him Jay says "hi" and has been praying for his health (He doesn't know me, but I figure if you been sick and you hear someone has been praying for your health, that's a good thing. Right?)

29/5/07 11:57  
Blogger Tom Spaulding said...

Love the Mac so far.

I have no knowledge of any print media reports to that effect. What are you referring to?

I'll see Hamilton...I'm his tech! He is fine, looks great, plays great.

30/5/07 05:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home