Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Get Back, Honky Cat

After our sound check yesterday morning we tore down our gear and packed it up until tonight's show. We are scheduled for the 9:50 to 10:10 slot, doing Born on the Bayou, Who'll Stop the Rain, Keep On Chogglin', Bad Moon Rising and Proud Mary.

Jerry and I ate at the Carnegie Deli, huge sandwiches and excellent matzoh ball soup. We then met up with some of the Elton John crew at the Hilton, about a block from the Sheraton where we are staying. Rick Salazar, noted guitar tech, is working with EJ doing Davey Johnstone's gear. He is a complete Beatle fanatic, even more so than I am, though I tried to hold up my end of the conversation. He has an extensive collection of memorabilia and lots of great stories.

It happens that Elton will be playing in Nashville two days before my wedding, so Rick was kind enough to offer tickets to the show. I have never seen EJ in concert, though we are planning to peek in at the soundcheck this afternoon, and I'm looking forward to it. I guess he does a 2.5 hour show and sometimes adds several Captain Fantastic songs to the set - this being the 25th anniversary of the release of that classic album.

As much as I like some of the new Rock music out there, the "classic" rockers remain my favorites. Fogerty, Elton, Aerosmith - all of the songs I grew up with still move me. I'm thankful the '70's had such great music that survived the fads of the day.

DVD tip: Check your local Sam's Club for the "Old Grey Whistle Test" DVD. Many fine performances from the '70's and early '80's on live British TV. Cheap, too - I paid $8.88 for my copy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home