Friday, February 11, 2005

The End of Winter

Finally getting some sunlight here in Nashville. It feels like Spring is trying to make a move on Winter..lots of birds rooting around in the backyard. I have a mini aviary that is home to bluebirds, blue jays, cardinals, robins and various other wren-type birds, as well as a healthy squirrel population that feasts on the walnuts from the gigantic tree right outside the dining room window.

It's cold this morning, but sunny enough to make it feel pretty nice out. Tomorrow is going to have a high of 60 degrees - shorts weather for me.

I started making a playlist on the Dell DJ for "summer" tunes. Jay Ferguson's "Thunder Island", Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back in Town", Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now", "Baker Street", lots of AM radio hit singles. I loved growing up in that era. Check out the production values of a song like "Year of the Cat". There was a time when Pop was important enough to spend time and money on, maybe at times to excess, but there is no doubt the Pop of the '70's and '80's had more substance to it's fluff...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being 10 years older, my "list" is different. When I tried to think of the song that is most associated with my Summer youth, "Help Me, Rhonda" popped in to my head. I remember riding around on my bike, with my Japanese transistor radio, waiting for WLS to play it again . . . and again . . . and again.

Strangely, the version I remember is NOT the same as the one on the Beach Boys Greatest Hits CD I now have.

'bro

11/2/05 09:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thunder Island. Holy mackerel....I haven't thought of that tune in eons. A rockin' good tune that was.

Alan Parsons had a bit of a way of producing/engineering with all his artists. I still love the last song on "Time Passages" from Al Stewarts 'hit period' the most. No one ever heard it, but Peter White's guitar work was just heart-tugging.

Spring is a good thing.

TK

11/2/05 20:12  
Blogger Tom Spaulding said...

TK...Terry Kennedy? Thunder Island is great. Joe Walsh plays the guitars AFAIK. I dig Shakedown Cruise, too.

And I have always loved the intro and turnaround of "Baker Street"...congas, flutes, a ripping sax solo (courtesy of Rafael Ravenscroft) and a fab guitar break...what a production. "Right Down the Line",the follow-up is righteous, too.

11/2/05 22:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home