Monday, May 08, 2006

Baker Street

Last week the band traveled to London to tape the Jools Holland show for BBC-2. Great gig, great trip. Christine McVie is old friends with Billy and George, and she stopped by the hotel lobby for a visit.

The format for "Later With Jools Holland" is unique. Four featured bands, each set up against one of the four walls of the studio. The other bands on our night were Hassidic rap/reggae sensation Matisyahu, ex-Verve frontman Richard Ashcroft, Los Angeles pop-punkers "We Are Scientists" and special guests "Camille" from Paris, France and neo-Flamenco guitarists "Rodrigo y Gabriella". All of the bands were interesting and entertaining. An audience of a few hundred crowd into the corners of the studio and the music is non-stop save for a few interviews with some of the guests.

We borrowed a couple of techs from Paul Weller's band and they were very helpful in getting our gear together, as I was the only crew guy to make the trip this time out.

We rented some amazing Marshall JCM800 amps and most of the other bands were using really nice AC-30s...wish I could get my hands on one of those here in the States.


Baker Street

London. Looking out the window of my room in the Sherlock Holmes Hotel on Baker Street. Basil Rathbone. Gerry Rafferty. It's a very expensive town to visit - a hamburger was $30 in the hotel dining room - and I was too jet-lagged to get out and be a tourist. Still, it was neat to be there.



Christine

Fabulous singer/songwriter and beautiful, charming lady. Like most music fans my age, I devoured the Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" album and it was a thrill to meet her. I hesitated to get a picture, but I figured the odds of being in a London pub with Christine McVie, with no fans hassling her (except me), would not soon happen again. She was very gracious and posed for the nice photo above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home